Radiofrequency Ablation to Treat Loco-Regional Recurrence of Well-Differentiated Thyroid Carcinoma

Korean Journal of Radiology 2014년 15권 6호 p.817 ~ p.826

이순진(Lee Sun-Jin) - Chung-Ang University Hospital Department of Radiology
정소령(Jung So-Lyung) - Catholic University College of Medicine Seoul St. Mary’s Hospital Department of Radiology
김범수(Kim Bum-Soo) - Catholic University College of Medicine Seoul St. Mary’s Hospital Department of Radiology
안국진(Ahn Kook-Jin) - Catholic University College of Medicine Seoul St. Mary’s Hospital Department of Radiology
최현석(Choi Hyun-Seok) - Catholic University College of Medicine Seoul St. Mary’s Hospital Department of Radiology
임동준(Lim Dong-Jun) - Catholic University College of Medicine Seoul St. Mary’s Hospital Department of Internal Medicine
김민희(Kim Min-Hee) - Catholic University College of Medicine Seoul St. Mary’s Hospital Department of Internal Medicine
배자성(Bae Ja-Seong) - Catholic University College of Medicine Seoul St. Mary’s Hospital Department of Surgery
김민식(Kim Min-Sik) - Catholic University College of Medicine Seoul St. Mary’s Hospital Department of Otolaryngology
정찬권(Jung Chan-Kwon) - Catholic University College of Medicine Seoul St. Mary’s Hospital Department of Pathology
정세민(Chong Se-Min) - Chung-Ang University Hospital Department of Radiology

Abstract

Objective: To evaluate the efficacy of radiofrequency ablation (RFA) in the treatment of loco-regional, recurrent, and well-differentiated thyroid carcinoma.

Materials and Methods: Thirty-five recurrent well-differentiated thyroid carcinomas (RTC) in 32 patients were treated with RFA, between March 2008 and October 2011. RTCs were detected by regular follow-up ultrasound and confirmed by biopsy. All patients had fewer than 3 RTCs in the neck and were at high surgical risk or refused to undergo repeated surgery. Average number of RFA sessions were 1.3 (range 1-3). Post-RFA biopsy and ultrasound were performed. The mean follow-up period was 30 months. Pre- and post-RFA serum thyroglobulin values were evaluated.

Results: Thirty-one patients with 33 RTCs were treated with RFA only, whereas 1 patient with 2 RTCs was treated with RFA followed by surgery. At the last follow-up ultrasound, 31 (94%) of the 33 RTCs treated with RFA alone completely disappeared and the remaining 2 (6%) RTCs showed decreased volume. The largest diameter and volume of the 33 RTCs were markedly decreased by 93.2% (from 8.1 ± 3.4 mm to 0.6 ± 1.8 mm, p < 0.001) and 96.4% (from 173.9 ± 198.7 mm3 to 6.2 ± 27.9 mm3,p < 0.001), respectively. Twenty of the 21 RTCs evaluated with post-RFA biopsies (95%) were negative for malignancy. One (5%) showed remaining tumor that was removed surgically. The serum thyroglobulin was decreased in 19 of 26 patients (73%). Voice change developed immediately after RFA in 6 patients (19%) and was spontaneously recovered in 5 patients (83%).

Conclusion: Radiofrequency ablation can be effective in treating loco-regional, recurrent, and well-differentiated thyroid carcinoma in patients at high surgical risk.

키워드

Radiofrequency ablation, Recurrent thyroid cancer, Efficacy, Thyroid, Ultrasound
원문 및 링크아웃 정보
등재저널 정보
SCI(E) MEDLINE 학술진흥재단(KCI) KoreaMed 대한의학회 회원 
주제코드
주제명(Target field)
연구대상(Population)
연구참여(Sample size)
대상성별(Gender)
질병특성(Condition Category)
연구환경(Setting)
연구설계(Study Design)
연구기간(Period)
중재방법(Intervention Type)
중재명칭(Intervention Name)
키워드(Keyword)
유효성결과(Recomendation)
RFA can be effective in treating locoregional, recurrent, and well-differentiated thyroid carcinoma in patients at high surgical risk.
연구비지원(Fund Source)
근거수준평가(Evidence Hierarchy)
출판년도(Year)
참여저자수(Authors)
대표저자
KCD코드
ICD 03
건강보험코드