Frequency of rebleeding events in obscure gastrointestinal bleeding with negative capsule endoscopy.

Kim, Ji-Beom; Ye, Byong Duk; Song, Yelim; Yang, Dong-Hoon; Jung, Kee Wook; Kim, Kyung-Jo; Byeon, Jeong-Sik; Myung, Seung-Jae; Yang, Suk-Kyun; Kim, Jin-Ho
Journal of gastroenterology and hepatology
2013May ; 28 ( 5 ) :834-40.
저자 상세정보
Kim, Ji-Beom -
Ye, Byong Duk -
Song, Yelim -
Yang, Dong-Hoon -
Jung, Kee Wook -
Kim, Kyung-Jo -
Byeon, Jeong-Sik -
Myung, Seung-Jae -
Yang, Suk-Kyun -
Kim, Jin-Ho -
ABSTRACT
BACKGROUND AND AIMS: Although capsule endoscopy (CE) is widely used as a first-line diagnostic modality for obscure gastrointestinal bleeding (OGIB), the rebleeding rate after negative CE varies according to different studies. We tried to elucidate the outcomes after negative CE for OGIB and to determine the risk factors associated with rebleeding.

METHODS: We retrospectively reviewed data from 125 patients who had received CE for OGIB.

RESULTS: PillCam SB capsules were used for 92 patients (73.6%) and SB2 capsules for the other 33 (26.4%). The complete visualization of the small bowel was achieved in 93 patients (74.4%). Of the 63 patients (50.4%) who showed negative CE results, 60 patients did not receive any further specific treatment for OGIB, and were analyzed for the rebleeding rate and risk factors for rebleeding. Of the 60 patients, rebleeding episodes were observed in 16 patients (26.7%), and the cumulative rebleeding rates after 6, 12, 24, and 36 months were 12.4%, 14.3%, 28.7%, and 35.9%, respectively. Substantial rebleeding events were observed with similar frequency both after negative CE without subsequent treatment (26.7%) and after positive CE without specific treatment (21.2%) (P?=?0.496).

CONCLUSIONS: Considerable rebleeding episodes were observed after negative CE result for OGIB. Further complementary diagnostic work-ups and close follow-up are needed to be considered for patients with OGIB and negative CE results. CI - ??2013 Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology Foundation and Wiley Publishing Asia Pty Ltd.
na
MESH
Adult, Aged, Capsule Endoscopy/*statistics & numerical data, Female, Follow-Up Studies, Gastrointestinal Hemorrhage/*diagnosis/*epidemiology/etiology/pathology, Humans, Intestine, Small/*pathology, Male, Middle Aged, Prognosis, Recurrence, Retrospective Studies, Risk Factors, Time Factors
링크

주제코드
주제명(Target field)
연구대상(Population)
연구참여(Sample size)
대상성별(Gender)
질병특성(Condition Category)
연구환경(Setting)
연구설계(Study Design)
연구기간(Period)
중재방법(Intervention Type)
중재명칭(Intervention Name)
키워드(Keyword)
유효성결과(Recomendation)
Considerable rebleeding episodes were observed after negative CE result for OGIB; Substantial rebleeding eventswere observed with similar frequency both after negative CE without subsequent treatment(26.7%) and after positive CE without specific treatment (21.2%) (P = 0.496).
연구비지원(Fund Source)
근거수준평가(Evidence Hierarchy)
출판년도(Year)
참여저자수(Authors)
대표저자
DOI
10.1111/jgh.12145
KCD코드
ICD 03
건강보험코드